After Additions

After Additions

These latest piece began as a next step from work exhibited at SENSEability, particularly looking at wearability.

All my jewellery can be worn but I wanted to look at the use of jewellery and how one piece can fit most outfits.

My own jewellery collection has a lot of different types of pieces but only a few that can be necessary worn with everything. I wanted to questioned why was that, what was it about it, was it because of it was quite plain, a typical jewellery piece, outside of fashion, or a classic, just some of these made me question my studio practise jewellery and if I could create a piece that was a fit for all.

Is it all a question of perspectives and individuals taste. This was the element that challenged me to start this work.

I wanted to continue to have a minimalistic edge to my jewellery, allowing them to speak for themselves with no fuss or complication.

This work was always going to sit apart from the SENSEability work. As I did not have glass facilities, or the space to use them, so if there was glass it was a smaller role once again.

But as I started this work, what I wasn’t planning on, came as inspiration from the additions project. Becoming a range that questioned the use of colour and how the use silk thread was representing that colour, creating furry aspects to the work.

DSC_1759_72dpi-300x200

Round 3

DSCN2089-646x1024-189x300

Having the last round arrive in the post I was quite excited to find that it wasn’t one piece like I was expecting, but rather two separate pieces. One was completed in the first round from Kathryn and the other, a piece from round 2, was created as a separate piece.

This made me unsure about what to do. Should I keep them separate or bring them together. I liked what one of the Artists had done by adding the silk thread, though I would never of thought of it. To be honest, at first I was put off by it, but over time it grew on me. I was also really unsure of how it was placed on a silver chain and was it an afterthought?

I now had these pieces and needed to decide whether to make both wearable or leave as objects.

Over time I decided to keep the pieces separate but make both wearable. Keeping the neckpiece as it was; there was a simplicity to it that I didn’t want to spoil.

For the second piece I wanted to put the elements found in the necklace into it, creating a brooch.

By doing this I hoped to create a piece that includes the use of thread, and as a brooch I felt it was most appropriate to use in the form of a brooch mount, encircling or encasing the boxes.

DSCN2087_1024-624x468

Being able to have my piece taken and changed enabled the thread to be added to it. It was simply this change within my work through the additions project that really grew on me, and has potentially caused a reaction within my own work.

Who knows what will be next in the pipeline.

The Final Version

DSC_1708-624x414

Round 2

FullSizeRender-624x726-258x300

This round turned out to be more of a challenge that the first two. Having a piece that has had input from 2 different jewellers, made me feel nervous about adding to it. It was more of a challenge to break through it, to change it.

IMG_0754-768x1024-624x832

This piece, through the stages shown, was not smooth running; the piece was admittedly for me quite hard to work with. Maybe the single component attributed to this.

In my own conversations, I seemed to work with lots of different components in front of me, allowing me to search through them.

IMG_0758-768x1024-624x832

(but why? )
As I worked on this piece, the design ideas I had at the beginning went completely out the window and there was no the several components to work with.(and don’t get me wrong, as you work with any piece, the conversion does take over to produce something often different from your original intention. But what I find is that it is led by the trials of a particular design idea, I originally had in mine.)

IMG_0793-1024x768-300x225

This piece felt like it didn’t want to change, that nearly every avenue I tried turned out to be a dead end. Seemingly drying up my creativity, that seemed to be so abundant in the first round.

IMG_07611-797x1024-233x300

Having got to the end, I am pleased, I created a new version, and look forward to seeing what happens next.

The Final Version  DSCN1845-1024x598